The Lace Market Theatre Programme Advisory Group (PAG) is currently seeking submissions of new plays to feature as part of the 2014/15 season. They are open to submissions of all styles of play but the successful production must be of a scale that can be performed in the theatre’s Studio space. All applicants should read the guidance notes below prior to submission.
[Editor’s Note from LPB: The Lace Market Theatre is currently revamping their website, so it can be a bit hard to find the information, but we received these details directly from the Chairman of the Programme Advisory Group.]
Guidance notes from Lace Market Theatre:
- The competition is open to anybody resident in the UK and must be 16 or over.
- All submissions should be original, unpublished works that have not been previously performed to a paying audience.
- The play must be available for performance between September 2014 and July 2015 and must not be attached to any other theatre or company.
- Previous experience as a playwright is not important to us. Each script will be judged on its own merits.
- Only one submission can be made per person.
- The Studio space can be used in several different configurations with 50 spectator seats but the space cannot accommodate large sets or scenery changes. Large casts can be difficult to accommodate and props and special effects should be kept to a minimum.
- The usual length for a Studio production is anything up to two hours. Plays may or may not include an interval. Shorter pieces may be performed alongside another production as decided by the Programme Advisory Group (PAG).
- PAG will choose a winner after the closing date on December 31st 2013. The successful writer may not be contacted until after the season has been approved at the Annual General Meeting in March 2014.
- PAG will choose a director for the play early in 2014.
- There is no cash prize although the successful writer will receive a pair of complimentary tickets to a Lace Market Theatre performance of their choice. No performance fees or share of box office takings will be made to the writer.
- After performance the rights for the successful production revert back to the playwright.
- We regret that all scripts submitted as hard copies cannot be returned unless accompanied by a self addressed envelope.
- We are unable to provide individual feedback on any scripts submitted.
- If no suitable applications are received the PAG are not obliged to include one of the submissions in the 2014/15 season. The decision of PAG is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to apply: Scripts can be submitted by email, ideally in PDF format to: newwriting@lacemarkettheatre.
or by post to:
The Lace Market Theatre
Deadline: 31 December 2013