The Playwright’s Journey is an eight week course with Kimberley Andrews, designed to take new writers through the process of writing an accomplished first draft. Whether your idea is in its very early stages or you’ve already started putting pen to paper, this course will give you all the tools you need to write your play.
- In each session, we will tackle a different building blocks of playwriting: from developing credible characters to structuring your story to writing engaging dialogue.
- The final two sessions will be tailored towards troubleshooting any specific hurdles you’re facing with your writing and developing a plan of action for writing your first draft.
- There will also be a chance to pitch your play to the group, which will allow you to clarify and pin down your ideas before you begin the writing process.
- Writers will be encouraged to share their work with the group, creating a supportive environment in which to experiment with new ideas and receive constructive feedback.
- Week 1: Developing your initial idea
- Week 2: Building characters
- Week 3: Structure
- Week 4: Scenes
- Week 5: Dialogue
- Week 6: Opening scenes
- Week 7: Troubleshooting
- Week 8: Action and plan and pitching
Who This Workshop is For
This course is suitable for beginning or early-intermediate level writers, but you will need to bring in an idea for something you’d like to work on during the course. (This need not be a fully formed idea: a newspaper article, theme, issue or character is sufficient as a starting point.)
Previous participants (for Writing Your Play):
“I enjoyed all sessions… meeting new people and hearing them work on their ideas for plays.”
“It was great talking to like-minded people and getting feedback as well as getting a good grounding in structure.”
“The course was broken down into easy stages, bite-sized chunks, so I felt like I’d achieved.”
When and where
Dates: 18 January – 8 March 2017 (Wednesday evenings from 7-9pm)
Location: RADA Studios, 16 Chenies St, London WC1E 7EX (nearest tube: Goodge Street)
Cost : £160
How to book
Places are reserved on a strictly first come first serve basis, so early booking is advised.
About the Workshop Leader
Kimberley Andrews is a playwright with an MA in Text & Performance Studies from RADA/ Kings College London. Her writing credits include commissions from the Birmingham Repertory Theatre and Wolverhampton University. She has also developed work with the Manchester Royal Exchange and All the Rage Theatre. Kimberley has written and produced her own work at the Hen & Chickens Theatre in Islington as part of comedy collective, Wet Lettuce. She was shortlisted for the BBC Drama Writers’ Academy in 2012 and was then selected by BBC to participate in a training academy for day-time soap Doctors, resulting in writing a trial script for the show. Kimberley has worked as a playwriting tutor at RADA and currently works as a freelance script consultant.