Sheer Drop are looking for a playwright to collaborate with to create a brand new site-specific theatre piece, in two halves, for performance in August 2016. Performances will take place as part of the Saffron Walden Maze Festival, a community arts festival, over the weekend of 20th-21st August.
“We are looking for interesting ideas and suggestions, not plays already written, as we would collaborate with the selected playwright to develop their idea into a script. Ideally, we are looking to create two 30-40minute pieces which can stand alone but could be linked by theme, character or other means.
The plays will be performed in, on and around 2 of Saffron Walden’s famous historic mazes – the Turf maze on the Common, and the Victorian Hedge Maze in Bridge End Gardens. For more information and images of the mazes, visit http://www.visitsaffronwalden.gov.uk/Mazes.aspx”
How to apply: Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MAZE playwright application”.
The selected writer will be paid a minimum of £250, plus travel expenses.
To be considered, please submit
1) your writing CV or a short biography (we are interested in applications from writers of all experiences, so you need not have had plays produced yet to be considered)
2) an example of your dramatic writing (a single piece of writing of at least 10 pages, up to a full length script. For guidance, this could be a short play or extract from a longer play)
3) a proposal/idea/suggestion for what you would like to write if selected. Proposals should follow the following brief:
- The plays must be inspired by the theme “MAZE”. (They can also take inspiration from the town of Saffron Walden and its history etc…, but this is optional).
- Require between 2 and 4 actors (though can contain more than 4 characters)
- Be suitable for an audience of all ages
- Be suitable for performance in an outdoor location
“NB: we are not necessarily looking for thoroughly detailed proposals, so there is no need at this stage to create a synopsis, specific characters, or to decide on the context, setting or content of the piece. We want to be excited by how you would interpret the brief, using “MAZE” as an inspiration, and we are looking for playwrights who are enthusiastic about working collaboratively”
Deadline: 5pm on Monday 16th May 2016.
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook Page