Writer’s Digest has been shining a spotlight on up and coming writers in all genres through its Annual Writing Competition for more than 80 years. Enter the 84th Annual Writing Competition for your chance to win and have your work be seen by editors and agents! The winning entries of this writing contest will also be on display in the 84th Annual Writer’s Digest Competition Collection.
- Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious)
- Memoirs/Personal Essay
- Magazine Feature Article
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story
- Rhyming Poetry
- Non-rhyming Poetry
- Stage Play
- Television/Movie Script
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction
Prizes: Runners up will receive a cash prize of between $50 and $1,000, and a discount from the Writer’s Digest Shop. The Grand prize winner will receive:
- An announcement of the winner on the cover of Writer’s Digest (subscriber issues only)
- $5,000 in cash
- An interview with the author in Writer’s Digest
- One on one attention from four editors or agents
- A paid trip to the ever-popular Writer’s Digest Conference!
- A one year subscription to Writer’s Digest Tutorials
- A 30-minute Platform Strategy Consultation with Chuck Sambuchino
Fee: There are two different application fees to apply – one for the early bird entry, one for the regular entry
Early-Bird Deadline: May 4, 2015
- Poetry entry—$15 for the first entry; $10 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$25 for the first entry; $20 for each additional manuscript entry.
Deadline: June 5, 2015
- Poetry entry—$20 for the first entry; $15 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$30 for the first entry; $25 for each additional manuscript entry.
How to apply: Enter online or submit your entry via regular mail. Offline entries must be accompanied by an Entry Form, and the required entry fee (credit card information, check or money order made payable to F+W Media, Inc.). If you are entering more than one manuscript, you may mail all entries in the same envelope and write one check for the total entry fee; however, each manuscript must have its category indicated in the upper left-hand corner. You may enter online even if you are paying with a check. All checks will be cashed within 60 days of the competition final deadline. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished* and unproduced, not accepted by any other publisher or producer at the time of submission. Writer’s Digest retains one-time nonexclusive publication rights to the Grand Prize and First Place winning entries in each category to be published in a Writer’s Digest publication.* Entries in the Magazine Feature Article category may be previously published. Any piece posted online, anywhere other than a personal blog, is considered published.
- If you are submitting your entry via regular mail (NOT using the online entry form), the entry must be typed on one side of 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 white paper. Scripts and poems may be either double-or single-spaced; all other manuscripts must be double-spaced. Your name, address, phone number and competition category must appear in the upper left-hand corner of the first page —otherwise your entry is disqualified. Entries submitted online do not need name, address, phone number and competition category in the upper left-hand corner of the first page since that information is collected on the form.
- BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word or page limits will be disqualified. Type the exact word count (counting every single word, except the title and contact information) at the top of the manuscript.
- Mailed entries that are more than one page in length must be stapled.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQ page.
Deadline: 4 May 2015 for Early Bird Deadline / 5 June 2015 for regular deadline
Source: Play Submissions Helper