The Comedy Unit and Huffington Post are now accepting entries for the 2014 Funny Women Comedy Writing Awards. This is an opportunity to develop a half-hour comedy series for television.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to female writers only. As part of Funny Women’s dedication to new talent, only those who have not previously had a paid script commission are eligible to enter.
What to submit:
- Before you begin, please take a gander at The Comedy Unit’s useful tips for Comedy Writing HERE.
- Short synopsis of the idea- maximum one page.
- Entries will be 8-15 pages maximum of a 30 minutes comedy script for television.
- The script can take the form of a sitcom, sketch show, comedy drama, character monologue, anything really! But it must feel like it would work as a coherent whole across a 30 minute audience experience i.e. ten 3 minute web viral episodes stuck together is NOT a 30 minute script.
- Sounds obvious, but please make sure your script is formatted properly. There is a whole load of free script writing software available online which can help make your writing look more like a script!
- If you feel it necessary, you can add a short paragraph detailing any relevant/key story information that isn’t in the script sample (e.g. how the story started before the sample, how it will end after etc.)
How to apply:
- Please save your writing award submission in PDF (preferred), .doc or rtf file formats, with the title of the work and your name in the script title.
- Ensure that your name, email address and phone number are included on the document.
- Please send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Comedy Writing Award’ in the subject bar.
- Entrants must be registered for the Funny Women Awards in order to enter (link below). If you have already registered under a performance category (e.g. Main Award), you DO NOT need to register a second time.
What you get: £500 script option fee for a 12 month development period, including three weeks intensive mentoring to complete the 30 minute script with dedicated access to a professional script editor.
A shortlist of six scripts will be presented to industry judges.* Three finalists will be invited to the Funny Women Awards Final on 20 September at the Leicester Square Theatre where the winner will be announced.
Deadline: 31 August 2013
Source: Playwrights’ Calendar