Each year, the Foundation of The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences administers the Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award. The competition is designed to motivate non-American novice writers under the age of 30, and to offer them the recognition and encouragement that might lead to a successful career in television scriptwriting. Entrants are asked to create a completed half-hour to one-hour (commercial length) English-language television drama script.
- The Applicant must be a non-U.S. citizen residing outside of the U.S.
- The Applicant must not have reached his/her 30th birthday as of December 31, 2013.
- The Applicant must deliver an original completed DRAMA script for television, written in English. (Drama Series: A dramatic production in which theme, storyline and main characters are presented
- under the same title.)
- The script may be originally written in any language, but must be submitted in English.
- The script must be a minimum of a half hour and a maximum of one hour in length (commercial length.)
- The script should be a stand-alone or pilot script, not a random episode that is part of a series.
- All Applicants must provide a completed entry/release form to be eligible.
- Applicants may not have had a script or contributed any written words to any fiction material produced and/or aired on television prior to date of entry.
- Material that has previously been sold or is currently under option may not be submitted.
- Only one entry per scriptwriter will be accepted.
- If part of a writing team, each scriptwriter must meet all of the eligibility requirements without
- In the event that the winning script has multiple writers, only one writer must be designated to receive the award, prize money and trip to New York.
- Previous winners of this award or any award/fellowship given by The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation are not eligible.
- There is no charge for this competition.
What to submit/How to apply: Entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application form can be found here.
- The script (including a cover page listing the title of the script, the author’s name, address, telephone number and email) attached as a .pdf, .doc, or .rtf file
- A summary of the script, totaling no more than 250 words, but no less than 100 words
- A signed copy of the entry/release form (scanned & emailed, or faxed to +1-212-489-6557)
- A one (1) page resume or biography of the writer
What you get: The winner will be flown to New York City to be presented with an award and a US$2,500 prize at the International Emmy® World Television Festival. The winning script will be read by actors in front of an audience at the Festival, and the winner will be invited to take part in the red carpet festivities at the International Emmy® Awards.
Deadline: 1 July 2014
Source: BBC Writersroom