UGC Writers Campus by Series Mania is a week-long TV series writing workshop, conducted in English and open to 20 screenwriters. The 2019 edition will be held in Lille in northern France from March 20-27, 2019 under the supervision of Lorraine Sullivan, in collaboration with Paris College of Art. UGC is a European cinema operator which recently launched UGC Series, a unit specially dedicated to TV productions. They are sponsoring the Writers’ Campus for at least the next 3 years.
How it works: throughout the week, participants will have the opportunity to meet and be mentored by experienced professionals and writers, to attend dedicated workshops, masterclasses and one-to-one sessions on their projects with their mentors. In a final showcase at Series Mania Forum, the Campus’s work will be presented to industry professionals and projects will be pitched at the round table pitching sessions.
Participants lodging, workshop participation and festival attendance are covered. Participants are only responsible for their own travel costs to and from Lille and meal expenses. As the program involves top players with busy agendas, the schedule is subject to change with last minute notification.
Important: The participants’ projects must be far enough in development to be pitched.
UGC Writers Campus will take place in two parts:
- From March 20-24: workshops and sessions at La Plaine Images
- From March 25-27: industry meetings, conferences and round table pitches at Lille Grand Palais during Series Mania Forum
Participants are also welcome to attend all scheduled festival events, which include a range of special screenings and exclusive premieres of some of the latest hit shows.
Applicants must have/ be:
- At least one professional experience on a broadcast TV or digital series.
- Fluent in English, as the application and workshop are conducted in English.
- Fully available from March 20-27, 2019.
- A TV series project developed enough to be pitched. Digital series are welcomed.
- The project must be fiction. They won’t consider documentary or animation.
- The project’s original idea must not have a producer or broadcaster attached.
- Apply before January 9th, 2019, 11.59pm CET.
Selected candidates must be writers with professional experience and/or graduates from one of the partner schools (find details of these on their website).
How to apply: visit the Series Mania website for full details including rules, regulations and eligibility criteria, FAQs and application form
Deadline for applications: 9 January 2019
Source: BBC Writersroom