Matchstick Theatre are a small independent theatre company, set up in late 2015 and based in South East London. They have produced new plays and adaptations in tunnel arches and festivals around London. They are now located in a new arts and theatre space, the Matchstick Piehouse in Deptford, and planning their 2019 Mainhouse season. They are looking for good stories, and new writing only!
They are looking for plays with the potential to run at around 1 hour duration and with the flexibility and space for original music and design to be added. Have a look at their 2018 season on their website for an idea of previous work. They are looking for 5 new plays for their next season, and a fair quantity of plays to develop alongside the main season.
- When submitting your play please include a detailed synopsis of the piece and at least a paragraph about yourself as a playwright/theatre maker.
- They are only looking for plays which include well rounded female roles and opportunity for diverse castings.
- They also usually avoid plays with a story about theatre or actors.
- Playwrights from South London are particularly encouraged to send work in – they love plays about this area.
- This is an unpaid opportunity but provides a platform to have your play produced for a 3 week run in 2019 at London’s newest full time fringe theatre venue – it’s always great fun too!
- They will be looking to attach Artists, Composers, Cast & Director to the piece.
- Matchstick Piehouse is a volunteer led, not for profit venue; no staff involved are financially profiting at all – they exist for collaboration and artistic development.
How to apply: send submissions to email@example.com
Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 10 December 2018
Source: BBC Writersroom