HighTide’s aim is to produce new theatre works by artists who are yet to receive their first commission. HighTide produces well-resourced debut productions with substantial research and development periods, which benefit from development with HighTide associates and audience feedback. HighTide’s artists are new, adventurous and diverse in terms of ethnicity, political philosophy and socio-economic backgrounds.
First Commissions is HighTide’s attachment programme for writers and theatre makers. Every year, they work with a number of emerging writers who have never received a full length play commission. Over an 18 month period they then aid them to:
- Create a new theatre piece.
- Make an application to Arts Council England’s Project Grants to cover a full commission fee and development budget.
- Produce two rehearsed readings, showings or workshops in professional theatres or cultural organisations.
- Collaborate with a wider creative team, usually in the form of a director or facilitator.
- Engage an established theatre artist to act as a mentor and dramaturg.
How to apply: read the full guidelines and apply here.
Deadline: 14 June 2018
Source: Script Consultant e-newsletter