Theatre-Rites is accepting proposals for their Mentoring and Development Programme to support and protect experimentation and risk-taking in the creation of work for children.
They are looking for an artist or company, from any discipline, to embark on a programme of mentoring and development by and with Theatre-Rites. This would result in the co-creation of a new piece of work for children (for ages up to 18), which will involve puppetry or a strong visual language as an integral part of the production. The programme of mentoring and development would run from 12 to 24 months, depending on the chosen artist or company.
Eligibility: This Scheme has been designed for either: emerging artists or companies who have received recognition for the work they have created for children OR established artists or companies who wish to create work for children.
What you get: Theatre-Rites would deliver both artistic and managerial mentoring throughout the programme, advise on funding proposals and partnerships, and fund one week of research and development. Sue Buckmaster would provide one to one artistic development sessions. The focus of these sessions would depend upon your specific interests in their areas of expertise:
- puppetry direction/design
- creating site-specific or pop-up work
- creating work for children
- expanding the visual elements of your work
- exploring casting processes
- creating devised work
- supporting script writing for visual theatre
How to Apply: Please submit a proposal (ideally one side of A4, no more than 2) by Friday 31st January 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org (or by post to Unit 612, Erlang House, 128 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EQ). Please include the following information:
- description of the germ of your idea for a new piece of work for children
- why you want to co-create with Theatre-Rites
- what age range you would like to create work for and why
- a description of your process
- (for emerging artists/companies) a quote of recommendation from an industry professional
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a coffee and conversation, when we will discuss ideas in more detail and may ask for further information. The chosen artist or company will be announced in June 2014.
Deadline: Friday 31st January 2014
Source: Arts Council e-newsletter