Playwrights are invited to join the 2017 season of new writing workshops at the Jack Studio Theatre.
The Jack Writers’ Workshop is a dynamic hub for emerging contemporary theatre writing in south London. The group will meet at the Jack Studio Theatre on Monday evenings, (7.30pm – 9.30pm). Workshops are led by the theatre’s Literary Manager and playwright, David Bottomley.
This year’s course is for writers interested in finding out more about the art of playwriting, providing tools to enable those wanting to start or to develop their own scripts. The workshops will cover different aspects of playwriting, and you’ll get a chance to hear your work read by professional actors, and get feedback from the group.
- Platform. What makes powerful new stage writing? A chance to get to know the group members through their personal idea of stage craft and influences in an informal debate.
- Synopsis Surgery. Chance to pitch, test drive and hone a blue print for a new or existing play, in order to help shape and develop the theme and story you wish to write.
- Character Building. Where do we find our characters? How do they inform and shape the drama?
- Improvising Scenes. How scenes work. A chance for writers to experience the building blocks of scenes through the art of improvisation.
- Generating Material. Starting scenarios. This is an opportunity to test-drive part of your script, and receive feedback from the group.
- Sense of Structure. How to structure a piece of dramatic writing. This session is also an opportunity to consider redrafting and editing your work so far.
- Performance & Feedback with actors reading your scripts. A great opportunity to hear readings from your texts by professional actors, and receive immediate feedback for future revision.
- Performance & Feedback with actors reading your scripts.
There will be 12 places only available on the 2017-18 Jack Writers’ Workshop.
Course dates: 2017-2018 dates include: 20 November, 4 December, 18 December, 8 January, 22 January, 29 January, 19 February, 26 February.
How to apply: To apply, send your writing CV, stating why you would like to be a member, to David Bottomley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost: £125, £90 conc. (Concessionary rate applies to full time students, senior citizens, jobseekers and recipients of income support.)
Deadline: 10 November 2017
Source: Direct Contact