The Oxford Samuel Beckett Theatre Trust Award is open, and seeking submissions. The purpose of the award is to help the development of emerging practitioners engaged in bold, challenging and innovative performance and to encourage the new generation of creative artists.
The Award is for a company or individual to create a show either for the Barbican’s studio theatre, or a site-responsive show to take place in east London or the City. The winning show will premiere as part of the Barbican Theatre & Dance season in 2019. The proposal must therefore be for an original and unperformed piece of work that is available for production and unattached to any other venue or company.
The Award is designed for artists who are at the stage in their career where they can demonstrably benefit from moving on to a fully resourced and funded production. It is there to help artists move on to the next level in their professional career.
The winning artist or company receives a production grant of up to £32,000. In addition they will receive a mentor for the project and in-kind support from the Barbican including a marketing and press campaign for the performance and some technical and administrative support.
How it works:
- February 2018 – Barbican will respond to applicants to let them know whether they have been successful.
- May 2018 – Interviews. Usually around 6-8 applicants will be interviewed. After these interviews 2 applicants are shortlisted and given a £2,500 RnD grant to explore their idea further, culminating in a presentation to the panel of judges.
- September 2018 – RnD presentations. These 20-30 minute presentations are an opportunity to share with the panel a practical demonstration of the project that is being proposed. After these presentations a winner is selected.
- Summer/Autumn 2019 – Performances of OSBTTA 2019 winning production. The winning proposal is developed into a full production with support from the Barbican and is presented as part of their 2019 Theatre and Dance season.
- Be current and long term residents of the UK or Ireland (3 years or more)
- Have demonstrated a commitment to UK or Irish performing arts with a history of several
performances in one or both countries
- Have a proven track record in delivering full productions with a history of at least 2 previous
studio or mid-scale events
Please download the additional information sheet, which can be found here, to find out if you are eligible to apply.
How to apply: To apply, you must fill out the online application form which can be found here. Applications should be emailed to OSBTTA@barbican.org.uk. Late applications and those other than by email will not be accepted.
Deadline: 6 November 2017 at 5pm
Source: Word of Mouth